Greetings in the Joy of Jesus Christ!!! Thanks you for visiting our page...Grace, Peace, and Love!
The History of Mount Zion African Methodist Episcopal Church The history of the African Methodist Episcopal Church can be traced to the year 1787, when in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, a group of disinherited Americans whose forefathers came from the continent of Africa were asked to leave Saint George’s Methodist Episcopal Church. While most denominations have had their genesis as a result of a doctrinal position or biblical dispute, the Free African Society which began in 1787 was birthed as a result of racial prejudice. The leader of this group was a 27 year old “African” Richard Allen, a man of courage and passionate faith. He was born a slave in Philadelphia on February 14, 1760 and grew up on a plantation in Delaware. He founded Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church in 1794, was ordained a minister in 1799 and later became bishop. Richard Allen died in 1831. The original records, which are available concerning the organizing of the first African Methodist Episcopal Church in Dover, Delaware, dated back to April 1873. A certificate of incorporation was recorded in the Court House, Kent County, Dover, Delaware on April 4, 1873 in the name of the Trustees of the African Methodist Episcopal Church. The Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church was established in April 1893 and erected on Kirkwood Street, Dover, Delaware. The Church progressed over the years under the leadership of such ministers as Reverends William Davis, Richard Barney, Leonard Patterson, Thomas Moore, Abram Buckley, Thomas Cuff, Charles Ferrier, Parris Duckers, Richards, West Bevins, Marshall P. Gaines, Zoa Nichols, Oliver, Dorce, Harding Williams, W. N. Brown, P. Abner, Jenkins, Coverdale, Drummonds, G. D. Matthews and C. W. Reid. On April 13, 1910, the trustees of the AME Church purchased a lot on North Queen Street where the former church parsonage was erected under the administration of The Reverend Marshall. On April 11, 1943, the church celebrated the burning of the $1,000.00 mortgage and in 1947 an annex was erected in the rear of the church. In 1957, the late Reverend Donald George Kenneth Ming (later Bishop) was transferred from the South New Jersey Conference. Under his pastorate, the present church edifice was erected at its present location and the name of the church was changed from Bethel to Mount Zion. The church was dedicated on September 27, 1959 by the late Bishop George Wilbur Baber, Presiding Prelate of the First Episcopal District, African Methodist Episcopal Church. In 1960, The Reverend Elmo Bean was transferred from the South New Jersey Conference. During his tenure, a large portion of the mortgage was paid and a stained glass window was installed. On May 15, 1966, the late Reverend Rudolph Wesley Coleman was transferred from Newark, New Jersey. Under his leadership, the $40,000.00 mortgage was burned in 1972 and a new expansion program began in May 1973. On June 13, 1987, Mount Zion hosted the Bicentennial centerpiece event, commemorating the Dover-Philadelphia-Baltimore trek and is proud to be the trustee of the Richard Allen Memorial dedicated in Dover. At the time of his demise in June 2001, The Reverend Doctor Coleman had pastored Mount Zion for 35 years. In July 2001, The Reverend Troy I. Thomas was transferred from the New York Annual Conference to serve as pastor of Mount Zion. The church was blessed by the leadership of The Reverend Thomas and by the ministry of his wife, The Reverend Maxine L. Thomas. An outstanding accomplishment during the pastorate of Reverend Thomas was the purchasing of the Mount Zion parsonage located in the Meadows Development. Several persons answered the call to preach during Reverend Thomas’ administration: The Reverend Rita Mishoe Paige, Reverend James Platt, Reverend Sandra Yates, Sis. Gayle Whitley, and Reverend Pamela Connelly. On November 5, 2004, The Reverend Thomas was transferred to the Philadelphia Annual Conference. The Reverend Wayne Arthur Johnson, Sr. was transferred from the New York Annual Conference and assigned to the pastorate of our congregation. In June of 2008, The Reverend Ellis B. Louden was transferred from the Philadelphia Annual Conference, and currently presides as the leader or our flock.
Frontline Ministries - Our purpose is to be a church where people of all races can experience a new lease on life through Jesus Christ.
A Mennonite church in Dover, DE, affiliated with the Conservative Mennonite Conference.
Congregation Beth Sholom is affiliated with the conservative movement. However, our membership is diverse, representing a wide range of paths to Judaism. We welcome the non-Jewish family relatives along with the Jewish members.
We Started back in 1996 and we continue on our journey of faith! May God Bless us all!
To share the Gospel of Christ, to impacting the nation taking the Word of God world wide, on global assignment shining a light in a dark place.
Life groups Sundays at 9:30 service is 11:00 am
Welcome to St.John's ELC!
Men helping Men Become Men through Christ Jesus, we will leave know Man Behind...
Pastor Evan Knott Sabbath School: 9:45 am Worship Service: 11:00 am
Where Eric and Vanessa Brown are the Pastor's. We are affiliated with Victory Christian Fellowship of New Castle.
Combined Choir of Calvary Baptist Church, Dover 410 Fulton Street Dover, DE 19904