St Helen's Basilica is an 18th-century Roman Catholic church situated in Birkirkara, Malta. It is built on the baroque design by Salvu Borg and built by Mason Domenico Cachia. The design was inspired, and is similar, to the Mdina Cathedral by Lorenzo Gafa. It was built to replace the role of the main old Parish Church of St. Mary that was damaged in the 1856 earthquake. It eventually became the Collegiate Church and then a Minor Basilica. The current parish archpriest is Vincenz Cachia.HistoryBirkirkara is one of the 12 Maltese parishes which existed in 1436 (close to the site of Ta' Ċieda Tower in modern San Ġwann) the year of the Rollo drawn up by the bishop of Malta, Senatore Mello.The Ta' Xennu Church was built in 1575 and rebuilt in 1692 on site of the present church that was dedicated to the Assumption. The 17th-century church was demolished to make way for the present St. Helen Church when the parish church was at the time the old Santa Maria Church. A small chapel dedicated to the assumption was included and built within the design of the St. Helen Church as a replacement of the 17th-century church. The St. Helen's Church became parish church soon after its completion and then a basilica. The large garden space of Vincenzo Borg's townhouse was donated by Brared to build the church's front, stairs and main square. When Vincenzo died he was buried in the church's crypt.
Din hija l-pagna ufficjali tal-Parrocca ta' Santa Marija f'Birkirkara, maghrufa ahjar bhala "l-Knisja l-Qadima".
To keep people informed about activities taking place in this chapel situated in the heart of Birkirkara.
Sharing the Love and Truth of Jesus Christ through media and educating people about Catholic Church teachings on several issues in today's society.
Devozzjoni u Mhabba lejn il-Qaddisa Imperatrici Awgusta Elena.