St Peter & St Paul is the Anglican parish church in Buckingham, Buckinghamshire, England. The current rector is Revd Will Pearson-Gee who leads a range of services traditional and modern style, most which are on Sunday.
The church is prominently located in the centre of the historic core of Buckingham on Castle Hill.HistoryThe previous church located in Prebend End dated from before 1445 but no records have been found before this date apart from a reference to it in the Domesday Book. It had a history of the tower and spire collapsing several times and in 1776 it collapsed for the final time. Browne Willis had a great desire to restore the church to its former glory following the last repairs in 1698, but the new spire was too ambitious.A new site became available on Castle Hill and the decision was taken to move the church. The foundation stone for the new church was laid by Robert Bartlett, bailiff of Buckingham, on 25 November 1777 at a grand ceremony, including the singing of a hymn specially composed for the occasion followed by the roasting of an ox with beer and bread supplied by Earl Temple. On 6 December 1780, the church was consecrated by Thomas Thurlow, Bishop of Lincoln following a detailed petition letter sent to the Bishop which described the reasons for the new church. The petition read as follows:
Operating as usual
Serving the Catholic community of Buckingham -see our Website for more details of our services: http://www.stbernardines.org.uk