Theosophical Society Building is a heritage-listed duplex at 355 Wickham Terrace, Spring Hill, City of Brisbane, Queensland, Australia. It was built from 1863 to 1864. It is also known as Callender House. It was added to the Queensland Heritage Register on 21 October 1992.HistoryThis pair of semi-detached houses was built in late 1863 to early 1864. The building was probably erected by the first landowner Patrick Mayne (1856), or possibly for the second owner John McNab. The houses were advertised for rent on 30 January 1864, two days after registration in McNab's name, when they were described as "newly erected... containing five rooms and kitchen".Subsequent owners included Joseph Buckle (1885-1910), a Primitive Methodist minister, who resided there for a period. From at least 1883 the building was known as Callender House.The property was purchased in 1910 by Dr Espie Dods, who moved there from 97 Wickham Terrace. His architect brother Robin Dods renovated and extended the property for its use as a private house and consulting rooms. This reflected the medico-residential character of Wickham Terrace at the time.In 1925 the property, which included adjacent land now occupied by the Liberal Catholic Church, was purchased by the Brisbane Theosophical Society. Minor alterations were carried out in 1925 by architects Hall & Prentice. Major conservation work was undertaken in 1986-87.
An inner city assembly of people - a classical understanding in the Lutheran tradition